Monday, June 17, 2019

Days 1 and 2


A first glance at Yosemite’s beauty and a hike through the valley

The Merced River shaded by trees in the mid-day sun
Photo by Ashley Bowerman
By Ashley Bowerman
Atb63@txstate.edu

Miles traveled: 1,663

Time: 28 hours

Work produced: 2 interviews, 30 pictures, 12 videos, Instagram photo, Instagram story

Fun fact: Yosemite National Park is the only national park to have a dam, called the Hetch Hetchy Dam.

Me posing on a rock by the Merced River
Photo by Kamryn Allen 
The start to my study in America adventure was a little rough after I neglected to arrive at the San Antonio airport early enough to beat the lines. My neatly packaged suitcase was unable to board the plane to Phoenix. Everything I could bring was shoved into my two carry-on bags. I learned in this moment that things are just things. It is important to deal with a situation in the moment the best you can and adjust later. What was most important was that my body made it on the plane! Thankfully, the trip got much better from here.

We made it! 
We landed in the Fresno airport around 9 a.m and shortly after headed for Yosemite. The car ride through the Sierra Nevada mountains was gorgeous. As soon as we spotted the rapidly flowing Merced River, we rubbernecked so far out the windows I think we made imprints on the glass of the van. We, of course, stopped to take a picture with the river before entering into the park. The remainder of the drive was spent staring out of the car windows like kids in a candy shop. We knew this week was going to be an adventure of a lifetime.

Getting settled 
Our first day consisted of getting acquainted with the park and its surroundings. After we unloaded our belongings in the Half Dome Village tent cabins, we spent the remainder of the day getting to know Yosemite.  We took the shuttle for the first time, talked with the tourists, and tried to find some sources we could talk to for our stories. A big part of getting acquainted was the realization that we would be without Wi-Fi or internet for the next week. This meant that a phone home might consist of using a payphone for the first time. Let’s just say, it didn’t go too well. It ate my dollar. Fortunately, I was able to find a signal and tell my mom I made it to Yosemite safely just a few steps away. Another lesson learned, I am a total millennial!

A hike through the valley 
The following morning was spent being immersed in the beauty of the Yosemite Valley. Our tour guide, Kaleb Goff, informed the class about information regarding the history, laws, and even the mission statement of the National Park Service. We walked through the meadows and felt the cold water beneath the marsh. We hiked through the pine trees and under the ginormous granite rocks along the trail. The entire class in awe of the surrounds. Thousand-foot mountains stood like billboards around us, and the birds chirped in the trees. We took more pictures than I think we wanted, but it was in an effort to capture the amazing wilderness that we were immersed in.

The thousand-foot mountains that peaked behind the trees on the hike
Photo by Ashley Bowerman 
We have only been in the park for close to 28 hours, yet already feel like one with nature. The knowledge we gained on the trail, and the picturesque views we have seen so far will be etched in our minds for years to come. I still can’t believe I was given the opportunity to have Yosemite National Park as my classroom for the week. I am looking forward to the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment