Thursday, June 13, 2019

When looking for a story, look for who’s next to you

By Michael Garcia
 

Day:1

Miles Traveled: 20

State Lines Crossed: 0

Time: 7 hours

Works produced: 3 interviews, 6 Instagram stories, an Instagram post, and 13 photos

Earliest rising: 6 am

Fun Fact: I would be a terrible treasure hunter

Lessoned learned the hard way
Audrey signs geocache at Lockhart State Park - Photo by Michael Garcia
When the day began, I tried thinking of what all would be worth telling at Lockhart State Park. The park definitely has its rich history and I was sure, with the colleagues that had joined, were sure to tackle on great stories around the park. However, I am like a little kid at heart. So, when I found out about the geocaches, I thought to myself, “I can be a treasure hunter”. I was completely wrong about that. But, as it were, I tackled on geocaches in Lockhart State Park. Today served as a trial run for Yosemite National Park. It was a fun story, even if we were forced to cheat at the very end and have a park ranger walk us to one of the caches. Defeat is no joke. It was also my first interview since working for the University Star, which was about a year ago. Park ranger Lauren was very insightful about geocaches. The only thing that I need to get better at is to keep recording until they leave. Before she had left, Lauren had called Lockhart a “hidden treasure” and it was such a brilliant sound bite that I am still upset about it. Because our goal here is not only for us to build a resume, but to convince people why the story we are telling is important. Lockhart is a hidden treasure, and I’m happy that I chose to write about the geocaches. It was cathartic, helping me see the importance of what we will be doing in Yosemite.

Superintendent Austin “marbles” Veih
Man, myth, legendary Austin "marbles" Veih - Photo by Michael Garcia
With that being said, a big thing for me is the people you meet along the way. Superintendent Austin Veih had given us a warm welcoming about 0900 roughly. Automatically, I knew this was a busy man and I wouldn’t be able to interview him. Our day officially started at 0930. Dale and Jessica had sent us on our way to find an interesting story. When I entered the welcoming center with Audrey, there that story was, standing on the opposite side of the counter. At first we asked Veih about the geocaches. But, then Veih gave us a little insight about his life, like the fact that he was born in Tampico, Mexico. I was intrigued right at the start. We began to walk away from the welcoming center when I decided to tell Audrey that I was headed back to talk to him. He was happy to talk about his childhood. We talked of stories of his parents, originally from Tennessee, living down in Mexico for 16 years. They moved to a border town after Veih was born. Each of his siblings had a different experience growing up. For several years they were homeschooled by people selected by their parents. The parents advertised it as a “study abroad program”. The people who would take the job tended to love it and would return every summer. By the third grade, his family was split so that each kid could receive proper schooling, which Veih explains that each sibling learned Spanish differently. The family his sister was staying with used proper Spanish, while his brother stayed with cowboys, so he learned slang. As for Veih, he was in the middle. After, Veih went on to tell numerous stories about his brother Chuck as a kid. One of my favorite stories from him was about when his brother had gotten struck with Typhoid fever. The way he sells this story is serious at first.  He talks of his mother sitting him down, and telling him that his brother may die. The brilliance of this man in delivering the punch line was genius. He then says, “If he’s dying, can I have his marbles?” His
Feral hogs destroy golf course at Lockhart State Park - Photo by Michael Garcia
brother survived. He had another story about him being denied entry into the states when he was 8 months old. His parents were at a checkpoint when they were told that he couldn’t enter. Their response to that had me laughing hard. They attempted to give him to the border patrol guards and told them “we will be back in 2 weeks”, which they were automatically waved through. This man was down to earth and his employees all love him. His biggest headache at the park is the feral hogs out there. But for the most part, he would love to see more attendance at the park. I hope he sees that. And if you’re reading this Mr. Veih, I want you to know that you are forever “Marbles” to me. And I am happy to have come across you.


Our day ended at 1530. We now wait for Sunday when our journey begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment