Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Julia Parker, Where Art Thou

Day: 3

Steps Taken: 22,758

Location: Yosemite National Park

Fun Fact: Today was the day I realized that I am a journalist
A sign in front of the construction sight
Photo by Michael Garcia

Missed Opportunities 
Today the gang went to Mariposa Grove to see the sequoia trees, while me and Gabby chased down a lead we received the day before. We were supposed to interview a Emily Dayhoff this morning, but were quickly brushed off by her upon meeting with her. Gabby and I were back to square one. Something had sparked in me. I couldn't tell you what. But, I wasn't backing down from this just yet. So, we went the Camp 4 sight, where I was challenged with what is ethical and what is not.

I stood in front of the construction sight of the Wahoga Roundhouse that Gabby was trying to write about. I was trying to write about the Awahnichee legacy. I saw construction workers. I was heated. I wanted to write this story. But, at what cost? Do I disturb the people that want peace and quiet for a story that could put me on the radar of my peers and professors? Immediately I told Gabby that I couldn't do it. So we headed back to the Visitor Center to gain Kaleb Goff's number. He had mentioned he had friends that I thought he could put us in touch with. So, we were off again.

Who is Julia Parker?
As I waited in line to talk t someone about Kaleb, I woman made a comment about how crowded the park was. I made small conversation. To our surprise, she had mentioned that she worked at the park before and that she was a local. I managed to slip in the idea that Gabby and I were college students trying to write about the Awahnichee. The woman had mentioned the name Julia Parker, one of the last remaining elders, and that she normally hung around the bus stop in front of Yosemite Village and the museum. Her picture was everywhere in the museum. So, we were on the hunt.

We went back into the museum to find clues, to which we were told that the elders float around the park. So, that is exactly what we did. We ended up at the Majestic Hotel. We tried to find some clue of where Julia could be. Upon doing research on her, I discovered that she has a huge family of Basket Weavers. It could have been a possible lead. By the time we knew it, it was 4 o clock. We rushed back to the bus stop to wait for Julia. As time went on, our confidence began to diminish. Julia never showed up, and we would be told to drop the story.

Almost Famous

This graffiti was found on the Mist trail
Miwok stands for Native
Photo by Michael Garcia
One of my all time favorite films is Almost Famous. When I first watched the film I was the age of the kid journalist, 15. The story is about a kid journalist, who gets a break to write about an up and coming rock band. His feature is to be published by the Rolling Stone Magazine. However, after a chain of events, a near death experience, and the witness to a band breaking up, the kid never gets to publish the story.

I got invested in the Awahnichee story. These were people who had a rough road, and to top it all off, they were denied existence by the government from the years 1982 - 2009. If this story was to be published by the Yosemite Conservancy, this would be the coverage they need to get their cause out there. I was in way over my head to think I could be the one to take this story on. But, I didn't care. I wanted to. I've been in a position where I want to prove myself, that I earned a right to sit at the table. I wanted to prove to Jessica and Dale that I am a journalist, while also doing some good and helping these people a long the way.

After soul searching, I realized that this is what it means to be a journalist. You get your ass handed to and immediately need to get back up and ride that horse. I wouldn't have gotten this experience anywhere else. This trip gave me that feeling of belonging, and Dale and Jessica gave me my Almost Famous moment. One of my favorite moments about this day was a woman we met at the Visitor's Center. When I told her what we were trying to do, she replied "tell the world everything".



No comments:

Post a Comment