Friday, June 14, 2019

Day 1: Pre-Yosemite visit to Lockhart State Park

Lockhart State Park

By: Bailey Brown
Bmb153@txstate.edu

Steps Traveled: 8,617

Time: 7 hours and 20 minutes

Work Produced: 4 Interviews, 20 photos, and 12 clips of B-Roll

Fun Fact: The Battle of Plum Creek occurred a few miles from Lockhart State Park. This battle allowed the Texan army to move the Comanche Natives Northwestward according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.


Lockhart State Park has loving fans

Tommy Powell smiling with joy
Photo by: Bailey Brown
Visiting Lockhart State Park for the first time was one for the books. The wind was crisp and cool, despite the moments when the sun was blazing across my back. Walking along the short Clear Fork Trail, I met Tommy Powell. He was striding with his trekking poles wrapped tightly in his hands and he walked with such confidence he looked as if he was in the Olympics. He was born and raised in Kentucky and he is 76-years-old. Every day he walks the trails in Lockhart State Park. He has visited over 50 state parks in his life and has had a love for the outdoors since he was a child. “When I was growing up, I fell in love with the outdoors. We lived on a farm. After I finished everything I was supposed to do outside and around the house, I disappeared for the rest of the day. I just left and walked as long as I could just to get away from everybody. And I have been doing that ever since,” said Powell. He walked away so joyful to share his love for Lockhart State Park. He made my heart feel warm and fuzzy. 

Animals roam the trails

Alex Wall with Kiya
Photo by: Bailey Brown
Behind the playground there was a large slab of granite covered with rushing water. There stood Alex Wall and his dog Kiya. He was looking down at the water and holding Kiya by the leash as she jumped around with excitement at the water flowing in front of her. He shared with me his love for backpacking and visiting state parks. His favorite part of each park he visits is seeing any body of water no matter the size. He brings Kiya with him to keep him company and to let her run and release all of her energy in the fields. 

Meeting these two men was a pleasure, as they inspire me to continue to admire and appreciate what lies beyond any trail is a story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment